#WCW Style Inspiration - Victoria
Three Random Facts About Victoria:
I grew up in Brooklyn, New York
Pearl jam is my favorite band in the entire world
I am the men’s and housewares manager at Urban Outfitters Store #1005
1. When it comes to clothing, how would you describe your personal style?
Usually pretty relaxed, I like to mix tomboy elements with something a little more sexy for contrast. I like things that are durable and can go from day to night by throwing on a cardigan or a cute necklace and some lipstick. I wear a lot of small, simple accessories, and I love denim: jackets, jeans, shorts, dresses, you name it. I also love neutrals and anything with stripes!
2. What are some of your staple items? Is there anything that you just couldn't live without?
Black skinny jeans from UO, high waisted Wrangler shorts, and I just got this awesome khaki Calvin Klein utility dress with cutoff sleeves that buttons up the front and can also be worn open and layered over almost anything! I’ve had it for a week and already worn twice. My vans are an essential too (all of them).
3. When you wake up in the morning, what are some things that go through your head to help you decide on what to throw on for the day?
I always check the weather (if it’s raining I’ll probably wear all black and maybe baseball cap) and I think about where I’m going. Luckily, I work for a company where I get to wear whatever I want but sometimes that can be a real struggle! I aim to plan out my outfits the night before but it doesn’t always pan out that way. Like I said, I’m always on the go and love things that can be worn multiple ways or are super simple and easy to put on. I then grab a pair of earrings and tie a flannel around my waist and head out!
4. Do you have any inspirations for your style? If so, let's hear it! If not, than tell us what you're wearing right now. (Feel free to answer both)
I think Drew Barrymore was the BEST style icon of the 90’s. She was like grungy and badass but also sexy and feminine at the same time. I love it. I also read a lot about menswear and follow some men’s style blogs for my job so I think that definitely reflects in the way I dress.
Right now I’m wearing: Out from Under bodysuit from UO, Wrangler shorts (also UO), my favorite sneakers- vans sk8 highs (guess where I got them…;)), and my tigers eye ring that my mom got me. I never take it off.
5. What are some items of clothing that you feel the most comfortable wearing?
Items I feel the most comfortable wearing are jeans and crop tees. If I’m ever at a loss for what to wear, I throw on a pair of high waisted jeans and most likely a black, white, or green crop tee shirt. A flattering pair of jeans always makes you feel good!
6. What are some of your favorite brands/designers/stores?
Some of my favorite places to shop are Target, Goodwill, and Urban Outfitters. Target always has really good staple pieces like t shirt dresses and I got some knock off Birkenstocks from there that are really cute. Since I work for UO, it’s pretty much impossible not to shop there. I like forever 21 too but it seems that the quality of their clothing is getting worse over the years. So I haven’t been buying much from there lately.
7. What advice do you have for other gals that would like to achieve a similar style?
For girls trying to achieve a similar style: Think of a color palette that you like and find a couple of go to pieces that can be worn several different ways. Everything in my wardrobe is mix and match-able for the most part. I usually won’t wear things that accentuate more than one area of my body, so for example if I have on short shorts I may wear a cardigan up top and small gold choker. Or a low cut shirt and some jeans and sneakers. Keep in mind that less is often more, and don’t wear anything unless it makes you feel good!
8. Is there a color that you most usually end up incorporating into your outfit? Whether it be intentional or non intentional (i.e. you always end up wearing a lot of black or white)
Lately I’ve been incorporating a lot of olive green into my wardrobe. It pairs well with black, white, and blue (my other favs), and I’ve slowly been accumulating all things olive green- shorts, tanks, tees, cardigans, and a safari jacket.
9. If we could go through your family photos and see a photographic documentary of your style phases, which style phase would be the most embarrassing? We've all had them!
My most embarrassing style phase had to have been my “goth meets skater” phase, for lack of a better description. I ONLY wore pink and black and white. And converses every day. I loved all things mesh: mesh shirt, jacket, gloves. It was so bad. I would wear a frou-frou pink skirt with a studded belt and a black t-shirt with my mesh gloves. YIKES!
Special thanks to Victoria For Being an amazing #wCW!
Photographer: Carly Wilson